What CPR Course Should I take?

Are you wondering what CPR course you should take? The best way to know the correct first aid & CPR course right for you is to contact the organization that is requiring the certification and ask them what course you need. We have developed a blog to help our students answer most common question we get asked. Hopefully this will help to explain the differences. If you are still unsure, please do give us a call or contact us and we can certainty help you.

brampton workplace requirement

Workplace Requirements

For workplace regulation requirements, it is important to contact your organization body that oversees workplace health and safety (ie. WSIB in Ontario) and have them assist you. If you are not sure which workplace course you need, as a general rule, you should do the 2 Day – Standard First Aid CPR/AED course.

All employers covered by the Workplace Safety & Insurance Act (WSIA) must follow the first aid requirements in Regulation 1101 (PDF).

The required training depends on the number of people working per shift at a workplace:

  • For workplaces with five or fewer people working on any one shift, at least one must have an emergency first aid certificate. This program is 8 hours long and is offered by organizations across the province.
  • For workplaces with six or more people working on any shift, at least one must have a standard first aid cpr certificate.

If your workplace falls under federal jurisdiction such as Transportation (Airlines, Trucking, Shipping) or other services such as RCMP or Canadian Border Services, then you do not fall under jurisdiction of Worksafe BC and will require Standard First Aid or Emergency First Aid. RCMP and Border Services both prefer the 16 hour Standard First Aid course.

nursing school requirements

School Requirements

Students going into Nursing or Health Care programs may require only Basic Life Support (previously known as CPR-HCP) annually. However, few nursing school require students to complete Standard First Aid CPR Level BLS which is valid for 3 years and must be renewed every 3 years. Brampton First Aid CPR provides group discount rates for nursing students at low-cost, for more information please contact us.

Daycare or recreational facilities needing first aid skills covering Children and Infants will usually require either  Standard First Aid and CPR Level C (which covers Adult, Child and Infant skills) or Emergency First Aid and CPR. The course will depend on the organization policy. If you are an agency looking to provide First Aid training for your staff, please do not hesitate to contact us about our corporate discount

If you still have questions, please contact us or visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)